Photo: Lake Ming - Kern County website, Fair Use
Although the KCPHD described it as "potentially" harmful, nevertheless it issued a no contact advisory for people to avoid water from the lake. The bacteria can be ingested or enter one's body through a skin cut or sore. If this happens, one can become sick, develop a rash, or contract an infection.
The Director of KCPHD, Matt Considine, said, "Issuing a no contact advisory is a preventative measure. We will continue to test and monitor bacteria levels."
Warning signs have been placed around the lake. The signs will not be removed until further testing reveals that bacteria levels are at safe levels.